Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Reading Notes: Native American Hero Tales Part A

The Jealous Uncle

This story was a little bit dark and hard to follow a little bit because of it. One thing that i thought would lighten that up a little bit is to change the perspective to that of the wife of the uncle or someone else near to him. This unnatural uncle could then be observed and the onlooker could try to stop them somehow so that there was a little bit more hope for the boys with their uncle.

Bluejay and His Companions

This story was much easier to follow and keep track of what was going on. I would focus this on the perspective of the grouse venting his frustrations and to let them know that he is upset that all he gets is the fat of their catchings.
The taunting bluejay that taunted his grouse friend.

Dug-From-Ground

The story of Dug-From-Ground was really interesting but I thought that it took quite a bit of storytelling to get it started. For that reason, I wonder if that is something that I could fix up with a rewrite of my own. I am not exactly sure what this would look like, but it is a thought that I think that I could easily entertain. Maybe I would focus more of the story on figuring out exactly what it is that he can and cannot do or something like that.

The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle

I didn't particularly care for this story, partly because I don't really know which direction I would want to take a rewriting assignment. I could potentially do a series of letters about the attacks or something like that.

Bibliography

Stith Thompson's Native American Hero Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment