Thursday, October 19, 2017

Week 9 Story: Where the Monkey King Came From

Where the Monkey King Came From

The great monkey that was found in the East would go
on to be declared King of all creatures around him.

A long time ago in a remote land in the East, there was a desolate stretch of land that bore no life. There was but a wide open space that nothing inhabited. That is, until one day when a brave adventurer found an old egg just lying in the middle of the landscape. Confused and alarmed because of the rarity of what had just happened, he searched for the mother of the egg that would never be found. After searching for quite a while, the villager decided that it was of no use and headed back to his home. He decided to leave the egg in a lush green forested area, convincing himself that that was far better than it being in the open by itself.
A few weeks after the egg had been moved, it began to hatch one day. Emerging from it was a monkey unlike anything else that was typically found in the particular region. The monkey looked rather ordinary but it had somehow seemed to inhabit some great kind of magical powers that set it aside from anything else in existence. In fact, the monkey was so powerful and advanced that it was running and doing mature tasks for a monkey just moments after it was born. To anyone who saw this taking place, they knew it was something special. All the other creatures, in fact, saw him and were so amazed at what was taking place that they deemed him their great king and put him in charge of the whole forest. With great joy, the young monkey that had just been declared king of all creatures around him decided that he was going to do whatever it took to be the greatest master that they had ever seen in this part of the world. Little did he know, this promise would be incredibly difficult to keep and he would end up going to unbelievable lengths to try and keep his word to his people. 

Author's Notes

I based this story off of the piece, Handsome King of the Apes, which is the first story in the Monkey King unit. I decided to write this story in a way that would give the King more of a background of where he came from and why he was so set apart from everyone else around him. I really spent the majority of the rewrite time focusing on the egg itself and where it came from since that is the thing that I had said I wanted to know more about in my reading notes. I also added an aspect of adventure to the piece and changed it up just a little bit to where it is more of a preface for the story collection as a whole.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Hanna!
    I love the picture that you used for your story. It is perfect and simple and allows for your reader to imagine what the rest of your story may look like. I love how so many of these stories include animals and random, small details like finding the egg.
    Overall, this was a great story. It was short and to the point while still giving enough details to all make sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah, it is nice that you give your main character a background story, so that readers will not get confuse as they story goes on. I like your use of vocabularies as well as descriptions. I also like that your story is short and easy to read. I wonder if you will write a sequel to this story base on the ending you have here? Nevertheless, I really enjoy reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah!

    Let me start this out by I love the way you have set up your blog for this class. Your story was so quick and interesting to read. You did a good job of grabbing the reader’s attention quickly. Your story is very descriptive and this makes it more interesting to the reader because they can picture everything. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah! I really enjoyed the context and background you built with this story — it was really well done. One thing I wondered was what happened to the adventurer who picked up the egg — did he get to see what the monkey became? Overall though, I thought you did a great job with brevity, clarity and constructing an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hannah!

    I really loved this story! I think you did a great job introducing this character and giving us an interesting background on how he became the king. I think it’s interesting to have the egg found by a traveler, but he leaves it. If only he had known! Anyway, I’m looking forward to reading more of you stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there again Hannah!
    I loved this story! And seriously other people have said this but good job on giving good background on the king! It is really important to give details like that because it allows the reader to feel deeper for them within the story! I think you did a really good job with this story. You are a great writer and I am excited to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete