Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Learning Challenge Week 12

For this weeks learning challenge, I read the article Why Sleeping May Be More Important Than Studying by Katrina Schwartz. I am the queen of trying to see what the minimal number of hours of sleep I can get is in order to still be productive the next day. There have been countless nights that I have stayed in the library until an insane hour only to have to get up for an early morning class the next day. I've always know that that wasn't the best idea, but it never stopped me from doing it. However, I didn't know just how bad exactly this lack of sleep was. I had never really thought of the importance of establishing a routine and making sleep a deliberate priority before reading this article. However, in hindsight, it makes sense. I typically look at my phone right before I finally go to bed, too, in order to check any last minute notifications or messages from friends. I had never thought about the negative affects that could have.
Apparently sleeping in class doesn't count as quality sleep, 

I'm not entirely sure how I will go about applying this to my daily living because I am still a busy college student enrolled in 19 hours and trying to maintain a good GPA, but I think that it is something to be mindful of and the know about. Hopefully, knowing this, I can at least think about it and try to practice some better routines with the sleep that I do manage to get. I am going to try to make it a goal to get at least a little bit more sleep each night if I can help it. After all, what good does it do to stay up studying for all hours of the night when my brain apparently reaches a point where it doesn't even retain the information anymore because it is so tired?

No comments:

Post a Comment