Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Reading Notes: King Arthur Part A

The Drawing of the Sword

I have always loved this story in all of the different forms that I have heard it growing up. It is one of the few things that I am actually familiar with as far as King Arthur is concerned. For this reason, I think it would be a really fun one to get to rewrite for this week's assignment. It would be interesting to think a way to somehow modernize it for this class. 
King Arthur after he took the throne.

The Questing Beast

This is a section of this tale that I think I could pretty easily use the modernization rewriting idea that I also had for The Drawing of the Sword. I would want to somehow find the most unlikely, scrawny guy and have him fulfill the role of King Arthur in some way in my rendition of this short story.

The Sword Excalibur

The only thing that I can think of as far a rewriting of this piece is to change the sword into some other highly coveted item that he might want. I could make it something that those around him also want and he then would be blinded by the appeal of it as opposed to what it is that he really needs. 

The Round Table

This story of the round table is the only other one that I was familiar with at all. That being said, I'm actually not sure what to do as far as making it a unique rewrite. Maybe I could modernize it again and make it a kid vying for football captain or something like that.

The Passing of Merlin

Again, I don't have many ideas for rewriting. The only thing that comes to mind is that I could possibly do something with the mistress that is taking advantage of Merlin and expand on what she does with the powers that she learns from him. In other words, i could probably add a greater ending that goes past what is covered in the original story.

King Arthur and Morgan le Fay

With something like what this story is, I always take a pretty simple approach to rewriting. I would want to explore the character of Morgan le Fay more in depth and give her more of a reasoning for wanting to kill King Arthur. That way, her actions will not seem so crazy but there will be a reason for what she is doing.

The Quest of the Holy Graal

This seemed to be more of an informative section and not so much a continuation of the story that I've been reading thus far. For that reason, it's not one that I'm even going to consider doing my storytelling assignment over. 

The King's Pilgrimage

This is not one that I want to do with my rewriting. I want to use one of the pieces above.

Bibliography

Andrew Lang's King Arthur Unit

No comments:

Post a Comment